Thursday, February 19, 2009

Job Day 3 (and 2)

This will probably be the end of my daily blog posting about work, just FYI. So far days two and three have been challenging and rewarding. On day 2 I played my first game of Pivotal ping pong on the company table and managed to get wounded (just a blister from a small collision). They take their ping pong seriously and I had never really played doubles before with actual "rules".

I have been working on the Pivots project, which is an internal project that supplies all the content to http://pivotallabs.com. While it may not get as much love as it deserves since it is internal, it is kinda super important because it's our face to the world. BTW Jon, I don't know when they'll take my picture, probably when I least expect it. I've been working with Benny and we've learned to do things like install new versions of IDEs, and upgrade the unit test engine the project uses (which created some nastiness because things were suddenly not done in the right order). We hunted down some old user data. And we even did some performance monitoring because the page loads are a little poky right now.

Tuesday night I chimed in on an email thread (they use the corporate version of GMail FTW) about the difference between defects and bugs and which ones should be assigned costs to them. The pair programming has been great because it is so easy to stay focused and feel productive. I saw pairs giving each other high fives all over the office every day. Any former coworker of mine can tell you that I'd fit right in on that alone.

The work day goes from 9-6 so the last two days have been long because i went straight from work to outside meetings and haven't really been home before 10:30pm. I'm thinking that's a sign I need to cut back on what I do so I can get some R&R built into the schedule. But the food there is still amazing. This morning I had a huge sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich that was like eating many bites of breakfast heaven. My friend, Davis, is also back in the office, so I feel extra at home.

At the end of the work day today I was introduced to my new team. I think it'll be 6 people total and we'll be adding in some search functionality, and some polish along with some other things to get it ready for a private beta the week after. I don't know how much else I can say here, so I'll leave it at that. I was also kind of excited today to find out Pivotal had a hand in building Urban Dictionary, so if I have the approved opportunity to share some pre-release user accounts, I'll be sure to let you know!

P.S. On day one I got a Pivotal hoodie, pull over, and t-shirt. Tomorrow is gonna be a t-shirt day I think.

1 comment:

joshuadlwilliams said...

Does it feel like home? It sounds like they're really wrapping you up into the culture there-but you probably took to it duck to water as a result of you being you and your few months minus job. What do you think of it all?