Friday, March 26, 2010

New Plan: Make an Omelete

Time to start being ok with breaking some eggs.


UPDATE: The full story starts like this: I was watching the Eddie Izzard documentary Believe and someone in there said "It's like he's trying to say 'Love me' in the kindest, gentlest way possible." and that struck a chord with me. But really, I don't need  everyone to like me, just a handful or two. Thinking about it, I decided that I've lived the last ten years in a way where I was trying to please everyone, and I realized that I can't remember the last time I expressed a contrary opinion (save one incident in Egypt).


When I thought about this more, I couldn't really tell myself what I thought about anything. Do I like the way the public transit system is being run? Do I think the tax system needs reform? Do I prefer the color green to the color orange? I've been indifferent for so long I think that I lost a lot of my identity and substituted fencing in the process.


By "breaking some eggs" I meant that it is time to decide who I am, and that process may mean that some people I meet in the future might not like me. But I'm making an omelet here, one that has a kick-ass Will Read inside. I don't expect that any of my close friends will notice any radical change, but I do expect that the new people I meet will come to know who I am more quickly because I'll have more of a distinct personality, as opposed to a personality designed to appease.

No comments: