Monday, January 5, 2009

The Kindness of Friends

They're not my family, they don't have any obligation to me, and yet... Matt and Lauren make me feel "at home", that things will work out, that I really am an ok person more than anyone else.

They include me in their New Year's plans when others might just want a break from the guy in SF. And they do it year after year. They take me along on their grocery or hardware runs. When they say "our house is your house" I really feel like they mean it, like I live here too, that I'm not a guest.

They know and see more of me than most anyone else. Matt has known me long enough to hear me say some stupid and shallow things, and then see me down the road being that thing I poked fun at not too long ago. He has never brought this to my attention. He accepts me genuinely for who I am, with my faults, not just my merits.

This is what gives his marriage to Lauren such strength. They are fantastic friends. They are the best of people. They treat those who might feel undeserving as if they were modern royalty. I am grateful for these people.

1 comment:

Ashley McAuslen said...

Friends are wonderful! ^_^*

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to hear more from you!