Friday, March 13, 2009

Dear UMPC, Netbook, MIMD Makers,

My name is Will Read. I know what I want, and none of you suckers are making it. Do as i say and you'll bank millions.

  • 5-7" wide-screen

  • Should fit in a standard guy's pocket. The ladies can throw it in their purse.

  • 802.11a/b/g/n or as many as you can

  • Access to a cell network, 3G, 3.5G, HSPA, whatever, but I better be able to switch carriers pretty easily

  • Bluetooth with:

    • Stereo audio

    • Wireless controls (play, pause, volume, skip, etc)



  • Touch screen with multi-touch

  • Web-based apps. I don't need MS Office when I can rock Google Apps. Do one better and make your OS run only web based apps like Palm's WebOS and you're golden.

  • Speaking of OS, windows is no good on a 5" screen if you want me to use my finger (and you want me to use my finger). Something in the line of Ubuntu mobile would be cool. Make the text and icons friendly for me to use. Create stuff like pinching and scrolling. I like to use my finger.

  • Built in microphone

  • Headphone jack

  • Built in speakers that don't sound like a tin can on a string

  • Keyboard, I feel like I could get away with a software keyboard, but it shouldn't cut into my viewing real estate. Slide up to reveal physical keyboard is fine. Samsung's Q1 split thumb board on the sides is good too.

  • Back lit keyboard. I will be typing in the dark

  • HDMI out. Don't make me connect an audio cable and VGA.

  • At least 2GB of RAM. 4 GB would be better

  • SSD, moving parts are for the weak. But that said, I'm putting my media and docs on the internet, so don't try to sell me a 60GB SSD for hundreds of dollars. 32GB is fine.

  • USB ports. At least two. I'll use them, I promise.

  • Built in GPS and a good turn-by-turn map service.

  • Web cam, 320x240 at 30fps, no bull shitting me here

  • Photo cam, 1.3 Megapixels should be fine. Give me a flash and zoom too. i don't want to carry around this big thing just to take blurry images.

  • Leave off the Ethernet jack. The whole point is I don't want to be wired.


Basically, I want to throw this thing in my pocket and be able to listen to music and take and make phone calls without pulling it out. When it is in my hands, I want to watch movies from Netflix, surf the web, edit my docs on google, send email with a fair amount of ease, IM my friends, and get some hot-map action to get me where I'm going (on foot, bus, or by car). I should be able to document my life with photos and video, and teleconference with someone if needed. I want to hook it up to my TV when I want to share stuff with people. Leave off the pointing device. My finger will do the walking, or I can bluetooth in a mouse if I really need it.

This is what I have wanted for the last three years. It's what people don't yet know that they want, but once you put it in their hands, you'll win. I'd pay $1500 for such a device, but I think the price point for most is going to be closer to $1000 to replace their computer, phone, and camera in one awesome device.

No comments: