Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wanted to Quit

Yesterday, I when I left work to get dinner so I could go back to work, I wanted to quit. I was down because I was stuck. I was writing a customer job template and the resize thing just wasn't happening. I had been working on it for at least 8 hours straight. All so that there wouldn't be a scrollbar on the iframe. Turns out some other JavaScript I had added was mucking up the resize JavaScript and so when I took that crap out it worked just fine.

Added on that was that I had to hand off another customer job template to Jens Ole because I knew I couldn't get my stuff done in time and the second one had been promised for Wednesday too. Which is why we need development iterations and preferably some implementation of Agile.

And I've informally been placed as the UI guy. It isn't what I like. I hate combing through HTML, especially gross HTML with JavaScript mingled throughout and poor implementation of CSS. And then try to modify that when you can only manipulate half of it. It sucks. But what I'm coming to realize is that I'm the best guy for that job. I know it the best. And I'm meticulous enough to find the problems. I struggle with it because I stop when I think something is good enough, then I get asked to do "one little thing" and that OLT takes 5 hours. HTML is dumb.

But at the end of the night I found the problem, that got me over the hump. I haven't been given any more tasks so I might be able to finish something on my plate and move forward. I was able to be successful. That's what is important.

No comments: