Monday, June 23, 2008

San Francisco: Found my route

There are a ton of ways I can walk to work. If I always move from my apartment towards work, the distance can be as long as 1.6 miles, and as short as 1.4. The 1.4 mile route has two other advantages: 1) the grade of the walk is fairly shallow all the way through. Other routes have flat parts, but then the closer you get to my apartment, the steeper the hills. 2) It goes right by my bank. Today I signed up for an account with Bank of America. I just wanted a checking account to link to ING Direct, but they threw in a savings account and one of these programs where if I buy something for $1.87, they put 13 cents into my savings account, and round up the transaction to the nearest dollar. They ALSO put an extra 13 cents in the savings account from their own pocket. Up to $250/year. Wow, free money. And I suppose they get me to use my card more, more transaction fees from the middle man. And it probably encourages me to make smaller purchases, that I wouldn't normally make. Smart.

No comments: