Sunday, August 15, 2010

Done With Travel for Now

I'm back from Chicago. I was out that way for a vacation with the Dickersons over the weekend and ended up getting asked to stay out there for a week at Groupon. Travel is fun, but it is good to be home. I've been missing a lot of practice with my improv troupe ReplyAll. I even missed our last show which makes me a sad panda. Right now I'm trying to man-up and convince myself I can direct an hour long show about air-travel. There's all kinds of comedy potential there, like the guy that grabbed a beer and bailed from the JetBlue plane via emergency slide.

I feel a lot of things lately. The biggest one is that I feel less lost. But it is still a somewhat scary feeling. Before it was like being in a completely dark room. Maybe the room is in Nirvana, or maybe it is in Detroit, you have no idea, so it is kind of OK. Now I've whittled a big enough hole to see where I am, and I'm a long way off from where I thought I was, but I've got a direction. The trick is that there's a strange forrest with talking trees and a fire swamp between me and that place, and I have no combat training for dealing with R.O.U.S.s.

What I mean is that I'm afraid to start because it means digging up the core of who I am and telling him to go f*** himself because he's getting in the way of who he wants to be. Like climbing a wall, sometimes you have to let go with more limbs than you'd like to get to the next hold. It is time that I stop changing things just to change them, and time that I root up and really commit to the next step - it's going to be a big one to get from here to there.

2 comments:

Bilby McGee said...

I'm proud of you. :)
url.

Kathryn Newton said...

Hey! You were in Chicago and didn't come to visit me?! That's it-I'm going to have to come out there one of these days...you were missed at the reunion :)
-Katie :)