Sunday, November 1, 2009

Family Expansion

I think what was most... "jarring" last time I went home was that everyone had new names. Mom was suddenly Grandma, Dad was now Grandpa, Jon became Dad, and I had a new name thrust upon me, Uncle Will. It's like when you have a friend who changed what people called him in college, and you find yourself hanging out with his friends from high school, and they call him something totally alien and you can't quite reconcile it in your brain fast enough to keep up on the conversation.

After my brother's wedding to Vanessa this weekend, I now suddenly have a sister[in-law] too. I think for the first time, I felt what it means to be 2,000 miles away from my family. The relationship I have with my niece is very different than the one my parents have with  her, having seen her so much more than I have.

I think they are both pleased with how the wedding went. It was very much their wedding. They both had on casual foot wear for the ceremony and they had all the people there that they needed to be there for them. Standing at Jon's side during the wedding, seeing Vanessa's face as they spoke their vows, I feel confident in saying that this is a good marriage, one that I was proud to be a part of.

No comments: