Thursday, October 22, 2009

Student Council

Politics. I hate politics because I learned first hand in fifth grade just how bound any one person's hands are. I knew going into it that even if I was president of the newly indoctrinated Hillside student council, I could not do things like "mandate that homework is optional". Some things are just not within your power.

Then there's things that are within your power, but you need agreement from your fellow council members. And then there's a tiny sliver of trivial stuff that you can get done on your own.

That's why it's hard for me to hear criticism about any political office, why it is hard for me to get jazzed up about a politician who claims to make a change. It's just hard. There's too many moving parts, life is too short. I'm amazed anything ever gets done in government actually.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system works quite well despite it's inability to change. I think it is fairly reflective of people as individuals and our own stubbornness - and that's what government is all about: representation. All I really want from a politician is someone who will do his best to represent the concerns of the people in his district, that's it.

No comments: