Sunday, July 13, 2008

Saw What I Needed To See

This weekend was Matt & Lauren's  wedding. It came off without a hitch... wait, there was one hitching, so I guess hitches are good inthe case of weddings. It went smoothly. I was the MC, which I do and I don't exactly understand why I was selected for the role. I think there are a number of their friends with enough personality and comfort with crowds that could have done just as good of a job as I did. That being said, I am happy that I was picked for the job, and that I got to stand in their wedding.

A few months back I had visited Matt & Lauren when they were living in Illinois. It was one of the first times I got to see them otogether on their home turf. We played some Settlers of Catan and I ended up being on the periphery of some very competitive conversations. And I have to admit it made me worry about them and their ability to resolve conflicts.

I saw what I needed to see this weekend though. During the days that proceeded the wedding there were a handful of surprise challenges along the way. I saw Lauren weigh the value of he bridesmaid's happiness against the logistics of adding a very late guest. She identified that the happy bridesmaid was very imporant to her own happiness and took action accordingly. I also saw Matt & Lauren faced with another challenge where they both were able to communicate the level of importance to th other and again, take action.

They were not paralyzed by choices. They worked together. They were not stubborn. I am not certain that I could have done the same myself in this stuation, so I am happy to see them together, to see them growing, and to know that they will make it, that this marriage will last. They are important people in my life, and I am glad to see they have the tools they need to e successful.

No comments: