Sunday, July 27, 2008

Just a Guy

As much as people may jib an joke about me having a big ego after an off statement here and there, I have a self-perception disparity. The things I do, I do them because in my mind "That's what any other good person in my shoes would do." I pick up an extra empty bag of popcorn on my way out of the movie theater, I taught people to fence, I befriended someone in need, I bought sandwich makings for a hungry couple, I drove across the Midwest to help a friend in need.

I did these things, and many others, not because I wanted to shine, but because I wanted to be average. But from the reactions of people, I can only judge that these are not the actions of the average man. By trying to be just another guy, I've stood out, created something exceptional. It wasn't my intent. What I think it speaks about me, it speaks volumes more about people in general - that they do not very often go above and beyond the call of duty. Sometimes they don't even listen to the call of duty.

The people I keep closest to me, they are the exceptions, the ones who do go the extra mile, who listen at 3AM when you call. They show me how to live best. They are exceptional. Me? I'm just a guy.

No comments: