Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Gravity

This week I joined a gym. It is going to stick with me for a handful of reasons:
  • It is literally right next to work, no reason not to go
  • A bunch of coworkers and Twitter employees go there, instant work out buddies
  • I signed up for a trainer
  • I also signed up for a nutritionist
Today was my first day with my trainer, Karen. She's got a good grasp of what I want which is to gain some weight. For too long I've been thinking "I don't even fill out a small t-shirt", or I feel bad when someone pokes me in the ribs and hurts her finger. So I just want some meat on my bones. Right now I weigh 132 lbs, 125 of which is "lean mass", and 7 lbs of fat according to a 7-pinch test. That means I'm just as lean as ground round baby!

At the gym today I also learned that I can bench 50 lbs without too much of a struggle. I know how to perform a proper squat. I now know the difference between a press and a push. And I know that i need to start ingesting a lot more protein (no cracks about living in SF, please... I already thought of them all). The hardest part thus far is that I've been told to cut out the Coke. I love me some Coke. So I guess this is goodbye sweet syrupy goodness, I will miss your caffeinated ways.

My personal goal is to gain 25-30 lbs in the next 6-12 months. There's no event, no hard date to hit, but I want to have some gravity to me. I don't want people I'm with to worry about me just because I'm small. I don't want my grandmother to ask if I'm eating well. I want to look at myself, and look at the other dude at the bar, and know I am just as good looking as he is, but I've got personality so that cute girl is going to want to talk to me more than him. That's right good-looking-but-douche-bag dude, Will Read is gunning for you.

No comments: