Monday, April 13, 2009

Shameless Shown to Differ From Confidence

Lara pointed out that I have no shame, and while there's some overlap with being confident, it isn't the same.

I have no shame. It lets me yell in public, dance, and hump people's legs as a greeting. It keeps me from getting flustered when someone has something negative to say. Yet it isn't confidence.

I think confidence must be what it is like to have no shame, and to be suave about it. It's a certain charisma, a certain deciceiveness. It's having a plan, but being able to improvise. It's knowing everything and reacting quickly, fluidly. It is also about knowing that someone wants to talk to you, about holding their attention in a conversation.

Confidence is more than standing up straight or how you walk. There's something else to it, something I can't put my finger on... It's like a good comedian tells a joke and he knows when, where, and how the laught will come before he even starts.

3 comments:

stabbysox said...

this, combined with the title of the previous post, was pretty funny.

TildeWill said...

Hahaha! But if I really was ashamed, I probably wouldn't tell the world

joshuadlwilliams said...

If you were ashamed, and you did tell the world because you thought it would help, would that be courage?