Sunday, February 10, 2008

After Nearly a Decade

I'm retiring from fencing. No more fencing, no more coaching, no more refereeing starting August 1st, 2008.

Why? it's not because I'm burnt out in the sense that I've had too much fencing. It's more that this has always been my plan. To start something, raise it up, and then turn it over to the people who asked for it - the members. Now that RCF is incorporated, I only serve to stand in the way of preventing many people from doing the work that one man cannot. The tools are there, the armorers, the coaches, the refs, the facility, it is far from an impossible situation.

My hope is that people will take it upon themselves to do more demos, to bring in friends, to teach each other to do the things they have learned. In the mean time, I will be regaining my weekend, my evenings, and my opportunity to be a the kind of guy who is "a family man", or to do some side projects at work, like training other developers to use our software, or to take a business course, or learn more about electronics, or read, or any of those things that I've left in a pile on the side while I worked with fencing.

I know that many of you define me through my fencing, but it's the right move for the club, it's the right move for me too.

2 comments:

gourry said...

I am simultaneously happy and sad for you, man.

On the one hand, you seemed to really enjoy the fencing gig and I'm sure you'll eventually miss it. On the other hand, it *IS* nice to get free time back. :D

nutgatherer said...

It's funny to me that some people may "define you through your fencing." Maybe it's because I knew Will pre-fencing, but also because I can't imagine defining someone through an activity. I know it's something you are passionate about, but I guess I see it as just another small piece of the Will Read puzzle.

In any case, I'm glad you have made a choice that you feel secure with and you seem happy about. Who knows, maybe instead of spending all your free time fencing you will cure cancer or save the world or something. Hooray!