Friday, October 8, 2010

Will Read: Unlimited

In a similar vein as the sentiment behind "The Summer of Matt", I hereby dub this period of my life "Will Read: Unlimited". You see, I spent the first 29 years of my life figuring out who I am. I did a really good job. I know exactly what makes me comfortable, how to play to my strong suit, and how to roll with the punches. I learned how to be a good moderator, how to never piss off anyone, and how to stop when it hurts.

What I was really learning was my limitations. Some are real, like I'm 5'9". Some are in my head, such as being unable to play a musical instrument. I use to lean pretty hard on my own walls when I didn't know where they were. I failed a lot more back then. And while I don't fail so much these days, I also don't really ever feel like I succeed either - at least not the same way as when you put it on the line and come out on top.

Going forward, my life will be about challenging those limitations that aren't real. I had previously resigned to a life as a skinny punk because it was the path of least resistance. But yet eating right and the right kind of exercise can flip that assumption on its ass; it'll just take more time and money than I've put in to it before. That's what this new period is about, pouring resources in to doing the things that I didn't think I was good enough to do. My name is Will Read. I am good enough to do anything.

No comments: