Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cable Car - Danger & Doom

This past weekend I was riding the cable car down Powell Street as I've done many times. This time it happened to be raining, and wood breaks on metal tracks only work so well in wet conditions, so we got going too fast and the conductor yells "HOLD ON!" which he does a lot of the time, like when going around a routine corner. I don't react because I hear this all the time.

He pulls the red lever. I have never been on the car when a grip man pulled the red lever up until this point.

I find myself fighting a lot of forward momentum and not a great grip to aide me. I realize that I'm going to clobber my mom in front of me, so I release my grip and let my weight carry me forward - I push out with what is left of my footing and I bend around my mom like a reed in the wind.

I take a few steps on the pavement and come to a stop. Everyone else seems to be okay as well. My mom is freaked out because those few steps are exactly where oncoming traffic could have been, I could have been  a Will-pizza right then. She was understandably concerned. Me? I was excited to have finally seen the red lever pulled because I'm a cable car nerd like that.

In other news, they're shutting down the cable cars starting January 3rd through the Summer of 2011. I might die for lack of cable car action.

No comments: