Monday, November 15, 2010

Big Ass New Phone

I'm writing to you from a new Galaxy Tab from Samsung! It's a seven inch tablet with the android os running on it. Think big iphone or small ipad.here is the kicker: no voice plan! Yep, that's right. So how do I plan to make and get calls? Well, for starters, lets understand that on average I make 10 calls a month, most about a minute long. And I get about 5 calls a month, same length. So usage is low to begin with. BUT fear not, I'm not off the grid yet. Great products like Google Voice will enable me to keep the same great (415) 894-9455 number you've been not-calling me on for years. And to place those calls, I'll be using Skype, paying 2.3 cents per minute outbound and $6/month to have a number for Google Voice to forward to. In the coming Android OS releases (Gingerbread and Honeycomb) I expect I'll be able to drop the Skype component and just roll with my dainty data plan that only sets me back $30/month. So all told, I've got all this cool stuff in one device:

  • Portability - I can stick it on a big pocket and carry it everywhere without the need for a man-purse
  • Cheap monthly plan
  • Big screen for reading news, comics, websites, etc.
  • Flash support, for watching all the YouTube on the go that I can stand
  • Front-facing camera and flash camera on the back that also takes movies
  • Alarm clock
  • Bluetooth - so I can use a headset (you don't really want to hold a thing this big up to your head)
  • Tight Google integration, where my life is stored anyway (Docs, Calendar, Contacts, Email, etc)
  • Awesome Google Latitude, so you won't have hours of blackouts in finding out where I am. This thing seems to log every minute when I'm mobile. 
  • All the apps and games I loved back on the iPhone
  • Built in GPS with turn by turn directions
  • In a word, everything
This is the device I wanted when I left for college in 1999. One thing that does it all. Now it is in my hands. I love the future!

No comments: