Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dream Tech

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy Tab (http://samsung.com/GalaxyTab)! A 7" Android tablet with Froyo, meaning Flash works. It's a $30/month plan for 2 GB of data + texting, no voice plan. I made five one minute calls last month, and only got ten calls in. I don't use the voice. But 7" is a great size for a portable - big enough to type and get around the web reasonably, small enough that it'll still fit in a big pocket (or a purse for the ladies). That dumb iPad you have has to stay at home or ride in a bag.

I don't have to ditch voice completely. Google Voice should work as a phone number for people to call. I should be able to call out from it too, and use Skype as needed. I can also do video calls from this thing with Qik out of the box.

Back to the point, this is an all-in-wonder for reals.

  • TV? via Hulu, check
  • Movies? Check (plus Netflix app on the way)
  • Alarm Clock? Check
  • GPS w/ turn by turn? Check
  • Compass? Check
  • Calendar? Check
  • Email? Check
  • Music? Check
  • Radio? via Pandora, Check
  • Documents? Check
  • Games? Check
  • Output to HDMI? Check
  • Camera? Double check
  • Record video? Also check
I'm already down to an iPhone, MacBook, TV, and a Wii (that hasn't been turned on in months). If I can get a good version of Vim (or if someone wanted to make an Android version of RubyMine, hint hint) I might be able to ditch the laptop too. The future arrives November 14th!!!

No comments: